The White Mosque, the most ancient mosques located in the Market, is an important cultural-religious center in the city. The name of the Mosque is symbolizing the purity, transparency and simplicity – the main messages of the mosque. Other than being a worship place for the Muslim believers, it also runs educational and cultural activities, and in the past it was used as to administrate civilian matters and was running a school and a court of law.
The mosque is sending out a message of piece and harmony among the people and different communities in Nazareth. It is worth to mention the good relations of it with the different Christian communities in town. On Christian holidays, the mosque is sending a delegation to represent him in the holiday events and the Imam is mentioning those holidays during the Friday sermon.
The mosque is encouraging education to be acquired while integrating in the labor market and is managed by the al-Fahum Family, one of the most respected families in Nazareth.
History of the Mosque
The first part of the Mosque was built in 1785 during the times of Acre governor, Pasha al-Jazzar, who ordered Sheikh Abdullah al-Fahoum Eel-Ninni) to build the mosque as well as administrate all matters related to Nazareth residents and its surrounding. Due to the Sheikh’s resistance to Muhammad Ali’s Egyptian Rule in an uprising from 1834, El-Ninni was deported to Egypt where he studied in the Theological Institute of El-Zahr. El-Ninni became one of the most important religious scholars and was called al-Fahoum – an expression suggesting wisdom.
Out of respect, Abdullah al-Fahoum was buried on the west side of the Mosque. Ever since, The White Mosque is a “Wakf Deri” – a family treasury managed and maintained by the al-Fahoum family