The Franciscan Convent
The Franciscan Convent in Nazareth was well known in the past as one of the biggest, most spacious convent in Palestina-Israel and Syria, and was the biggest most impressive building in town. In the Convent, built next to the Church of Annunciation, there are 20-30 monks today from all over the world, as well as the Catholic community's court of law and the "Terra-Santa" school managed by the Franciscan patriarchs.
The lower level of the convent is presenting a permanent exhibition of pictures showing the early days of the church and the convent of the ancient Nazareth village.
The convent was established by the Franciscan order in 1620 after given a permission to return to their settlement by the Druze Emir Fakr ad-Din, and it was used as a lodging place for the Christian pilgrims until the beginning of the 19th century. The convent even had a special wing built for that.
The convent had the only pharmacy in the entire area until the beginning of the 19th century. In the past it was surrounded with high walls and looked like a fortress. The walls were meant to protect the monks from the locals' scheming attempts, and where destroyed when the new convent was built in the previous century.
In 1799, Napoleon Bonaparte was staying in the convent after defeating the Turkish army in Jezreel Valley. In 1930 the old building was destroyed and the current convent, including the school for Nazareth kids, was built instead.
- Please dress modestly and speak softly.
- The entrance requires the monks’ permission.
Mon - Sat: 8:00 am-6:00 pm